Friday, August 30, 2019

Artist Statement





     Hi, I’m Onofrio Gargano and I am a Film major at Hunter College. For a while now I have been interested in telling stories, whether it be through books, movies or tv shows. I’ve always loved movies and as someone who is pursuing acting as a career I want to do my best when it comes to bringing a character life. Filmmaking is definitely something I would like to know both on the technical and emotional side of things while also having fun at the same time. Aside from having a good story I think one of the tricks to making a good movie or show is knowing the reasons behind your characters motivations.
One example I think that shows it best is in Game of Thrones. What makes the characters in the book and show great is the grey area of people the author touches on. The author explains that no one wakes up one day and thinks “what evil things shall I do for today”. It is a culmination of things that have happened over the course of their lives that has shaped them into who they are currently. This grey area the author explores in his characters enables us to understand and even emphasize with. By understanding their motivations and reasons to their decision the author makes the point that no one is entirely good nor entirely bad. That is what I want to explore in the realm of film. These are characters that we are going to following throughout the story until they reach their goal so, it is important that we understand who they are, what they are doing, and why they are doing the things that they are doing.
One way in which we connect with characters is through experience. We may not know what it feels like to fight a giant mythical creature, but we know what it feels like to fight against something that is greater than ourselves. We can understand what it feels like when a character has to make a decision that involves two people that they respect.
We wanna smile when our favorite character does something that feels right but, we're also going to shake our heads when the opposite occurs. It makes these characters more real and believable and we are able to connect to them even more. I want my characters I make to be relatable with people and feel just as real. Even as media has changed over the years the one thing that has never gone away is telling a story.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Kirsten Johnson Presentation

Kirsten Johnson’s presentation shows the instincts a filmmaker follows in order to get a shot of something. I loved her energy and the w...